Saturday, May 9, 2009

Amnio appointment

Keith and I went to Baylor's Fetal Care Center yesterday for an amnioscentisis. When we arrived, the waiting room was packed. I checked in at 2:20 for a 2:30 appointment and took a seat to play solitaire on my phone while Keith read his magazines. Keith was extremely nervous, tapping his foot and sighing louder than usual. Everyone must have been behind because we waited until 3:20 before the nurse finally called my name.

The appointment went a lot faster than I anticipated. The nurse came, prepped the materials, and the doctor was in. He completed the sonogram and found a good location. The doctor said the baby looked great, but would continue with the procedure. He poked his finger exactly where the needle would be inserted, away from the little one. They cleaned the area and "pinch," the needle was in. A bit of cramping and 30 seconds later the doctor was done. PHEW, thank goodness it was over!

The doctor advised us that the amniotic fluid was greenish brown in color (should be yellowish), but believed the discoloration was due to bleeding that happened earlier in the pregnancy. Therefore, with high levels of AHP they want to monitor the baby leading up to delivery. So, after week 24 we will be going in for weekly ultrasounds. Rather safe than sorry. The doctor believes that there is nothing wrong with the baby, but the results will be returned in 10 days. Now, we'll just wait and see.

All in all, I feel pretty good. I was told to relax for a minimum of 24 hours, so Keith has been really great about waiting on me hand and foot. Man, I wish life was like this everyday! 

No comments:

Post a Comment