Saturday, June 6, 2009

The Summer is Creeping Up On Us

Whoo Hooooo! June has hit Texas.  It's hot.  Really hot.  I dig it.  I imagine when it really heats up, Alison will not be so fond of it.  Luckily air conditioning seems to be standard down here, so I'll think we'll survive.  

Things are going smoothly enough with the pregnancy.  The biggest thing for me is that lately I can feel the baby kicking pretty much every day.  May not seem like a big deal to some folks, but I spent a couple weeks desperately sprinting to Alison every time she said the kid was kicking, and most times...nothing for me.  So now I get to feel it kick.  I gotta say, it is really weird to think that there is a little person doing flailing around in there.  One that I'm going to be responsible for taking care of and feeding and whatnot. 

We'll be heading back to Seattle for the baby shower here in about a week.  The other big event is the familial meet-n-greet we'll be doing.  Seeing as how our families have never met, it seemed like a good idea to arrange that sometime before the little rugrat actually shows up.  My folks (hopefully both of them, but definitely my mom) will be there and since Alison's family all lives there, it should be a good time.

We've had to postpone a couple of baby related classes for this trip, but we should be able to fit everything in.  So far it's been pretty basic stuff.  And no matter how intimidating it gets, I have pretty sure-fire way of relaxing myself about the upcoming responsibility dump:  I just go out and about in public and I'm guaranteed to see at least on person who has no business whatsoever raising a single child, let alone the four or five they do have, and I realize that I can probably do better than that.  

I have been thinking a lot about what kind of parent I want to be.  In particular the issue of how protective I'm going to be when it comes to "dangerous" stuff.  I've pretty much settled on the following, using riding a bike as a good metaphor.  While I'm certainly going to have the kid wear a helmet when they ride their bike, I'm not too concerned with knee or elbow pads.  A couple skinned knees generally speeds up the learning curve.  Maybe that's just because I always learned better from example than someone telling me.  Stubborness I suppose, but I haven't turned out too bad, so it can't be too bad for the kid either.  I also figure Alison will most likely compensate for any of my egregious oversights.  We work well together that way.

As some of you know, and some may not, Ms. Alison has recently finished up all her classwork for her finance degree.  She is awesome.  And I don't mean that in the "oh dude that was an awesome hot dog, it had cream cheese and everything" kind of way.  I mean that in a "oh my God, that chick went to school while working full time and being pregnant and got her degree" kind of way.  To celebrate that awesomeness, I was going to have a really cool, really big, really nifty cake made for her, the kind of thing you see on the Food Network, or Ace of Cakes.  The plan hit a snag however, because in addition to really cool, really big, and really nifty, the thing would have been really expensive.  Like, vacation expensive.  Now, was all set to make it happen by hook or by crook.  However, some of her friends, ones with way more common sense than yours truly, pointed out that Ms. Alison might take issue with me spending that much money on a cake.  I was all set to disagree, until I remembered that I talked her out of a new couch last week.  The cake would have cost as much as the couch, and I was suddenly struck with a blinding flash of truth:  she was pretty unhappy when I made my point about the couch (mind you we have a perfectly good one already), and if I went and spent her couch money on a cake that would have been devoured in the span of a couple hours, she  might not take it as well as I might hope, no matter how cool the cake was.  So no cake.  Yet.

C'est la vie.

till next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment